In this article, I will tell you how to bend harmonica notes. I will explain to you the entire process in detail and how you can facilitate it. This guide can help beginners and those who have been playing for a long time. Finally, I will answer some questions you might have while reading the article.
How to Bend Harmonica Notes for Beginners?
To answer this question, you do not need to guess for a long time because there are only two actions:
- Activate the bend (this process can take some time).
- Adjust the bend (there is no limit to perfection, and you might want to practice it all your life).
What Is Bend?
With the help of bending, you can play previously unavailable notes. For example, diatonic harmonica lacks some notes needed to perform melodies. The angles create percussion and tonic vibrations, allowing you to fill the reeds in notes that haven’t been there before. Also, you can achieve the “signature sound,” like the note is between the pitch of each reed.
Discover Top 3 Harmonica Bestsellers
- Professional harmonica for adult-East top 10 hole professional diatonic harmonica, suitable for Blues, Folk, Rock, Country, Jazz etc. Great for professional harmonica players and beginners. This Professional Blues Harmonica has exquisite workmanship, beautiful appearance, accurate tone and responsive.
- Rich sound, responsive, airtightness - Precision-made plastic comb with phosphor bronze reeds; 1.2mm thickness reed plate is easier to get the higher pitch, rich sound and timbre. The reed plate with electroplating antirust, the hole, reed gap is better after electroplating. At the same time, you will feel comfortable when playing, easy to use the skill, such as over-blowing and bending, giving the performer a new experience.
- Pocket size and easy to bring-(4.01x 1.06x 0.75)"/ (102x 27 x 19)mm(L x W x H), you can put it into your pocket, it can be played everywhere, such as party, school, office and trip etc.
- Beautiful packaging- The package is exquisitely small and can be used as a birthday present, a gift for further study, a holiday souvenir or a business meeting gift and wedding anniversary etc.
- Package includes 1x harmonica (key of C); 1x instruction and 1x cleaning cloth. We are the harmonica manufacturer of the East top brand.Backed Up with East top 30 Days Unconditional Money Back . You can rest assured to buy our products.
- ♪ Professional harmonica set: Excellent design and exquisite workmanship 7-pack of harmonicas includes keys of C, G, A, D, F, E, and B♭. Great harmonica system suitable for blues, folk, pop, jazz, country and classical music.
- ♪ High-quality Raw Materials: The JDR harmonica high-sensitivity phosphor bronze reed plate differs from inferior aluminum, it is made of copper. The 1mm of copper reed plate is conducive to the sound more clear and melodious.
- ♪ Precise Manufacturing: The JDR harmonica comb is specially crafted with non-toxic food-grade ABS resin and chrome-plated mirror. It is not only lightweight, but also can prevent rust and corrosion. JDR harmonica set is child-friendly and safe, and has also passed Food Safety Certification.
- ♪ Portable Size: The JDR 10 holes 20 tones key of C harmonica is cleverly designed with a streamlined body. Each harmonica is 4.09"x0.31"x1.10", you can slip into the pocket wherever you go. Each harmonica is carefully tuned and tested during manufacturing to ensure best sound and quality.
- ♪ JDR Service Policy: Package includes 7-pack of Harmonica, premium protection box. For any possible defective products 90 days no reason to refund, 180 days replacement service.
- Key of C
- Designed to sound as good as the Fender brand name would suggest
- Its richer tone and pitch is made possible with a molded PVC comb and precision phosphor bronze reeds
- Traditional shape and black satin covers will make your harmonica look as good as it sounds
- Includes vented hard plastic case
How to Bend Harmonica: Step-By-Step Guide
Here I provide several tips to help you answer the question: “How to bend notes on harmonica?” Let’s examine the two techniques to bend harmonica notes.
Step 1. Activate bend
Activating the bend in the harmonica can take quite a long time. You can learn how to do it correctly in a couple of weeks or even months. There are three steps you should follow to activate the bend:
- Move the back of the tongue to the “Kk” zone. (The “Kk” zone is the area on the palate of the mouth that is closest to the pharynx.)
- Suck some air in the mouth (between the tongue and the palate).
- Try moving the “Kk” zone back and forth until the pitch drops. Another technique that can help is to lift a soft palate to the part of the mouth that rises when we yawn.
It might seem like everything is very simple here, but you need to spend a lot of time to make everything perfect. Therefore, your best friend in this matter is practicing.
Step 2. Adjust the bend
The tuning of the oral cavity (this is the mastery of the mechanics that will help you get the sound) depends on which tone you want to get:
- To lower the pitch, you have to bend deeper. You can achieve this by moving your tongue further away from the “Kk” area and lifting your soft palate. You can raise the palate by opening the back of the throat.
- To reduce the bend height, you need to shrink your mouth. You can do it if you lower the back of the tongue so that it is no longer in the “Kk” zone. You also need to relax the back of your throat.
This way, you can adjust the bend in the way you need.
Useful Tips to Bend Harmonica
There are a few tips that might help you along the way:
- The first trick is to keep the harmonica bending up. This way, your lips will hold the instrument well, and the sounds will be clean.
- Don’t play it too hard because it won’t affect the sound.
- You need to bend with the usual force and not pay particular attention to the fourth hole.
- Don’t move your jaw too much: Your tongue should move during the performance, not your jaw.
- Ensure that you hold the tongue with the tip forward.
If you notice that you can’t achieve the desired pitch on your harmonica, try again and follow these tips. They can help you see your shortcomings. After you understand what is wrong, you can easily fix everything.
FAQ About Bending Harmonica Notes
In this section, I will answer some common questions you might have while reading the guide above. By answering these questions, you will be able to understand better how to bend a note.
How can I make my harmonica easier to bend?
The easiest way to achieve it is when the tongue is free. This will make your task much easier. However, such a maneuver does not work when the tone is lower.
Can you bend every note on a harmonica?
No, you can’t bend every hole. To bend a note, the distance between the reed and holes 1-6 must be correct. If the distance is not right, you cannot bend the note.
Bend the Notes the Way You Want
As you can see, bending notes is quite challenging, and you need some time to learn how to do it right. After you hone your skills, you will get a clear sound. Did you manage to bend the harmonica? Share your experience in the comments.